Sunday 1 February 2015

Stop #1 Tokyo: Sushi! Sushi! MORE SUSHI!!

Being a crazy sushi fanatic, I have convinced the "E" in Team M.E. to indulge me with the jewel of Japan, fish! Also, in japan, you don't need to tip, so keep your change for the drink machines!

Sushi #1: Sushizanmai (Shinjuku)
They are solid in terms of quality but nothing that will blow your mind. But price is fair at about

I got the deluxe sushi platter which includes some of my favourites: botan-ebi, uni, ikura, otoro, chutoro, anago



Mr. "E" opted for a more value dinner as he was still horribly jet-lag and had little appetite. 
 

Overall:
Price: 15-20 CAD/ person
Quality: 3.5/5
Hours: late, some open for 24hrs

Sushi #2: Kaiten Sushi (on the top levels of Seibu department buiding in ikebukuro) 
They are probably the best conveyor belt sushi I have had in terms of quality and price. So good we decided to go back the day before we fly out.


Remember to ask for the seat that has an Ipad for ease of ordering

The food is made fresh and comes on a cart. When your order has arrive, the button will light up, and remember to push the button to send the cart back once unloaded your yummy sushi.

Some of the more interesting seafood - monkfish liver with crab meat, baby ika (squid), and hokkaido sea scallops *Note - this was only 230 yen ~ $2.50*

My favourite - negitoro handroll (chopped tuna belly with onion) & ikura (salmon roll) 

I think we stuffed ourselves, but on the bright side, this only cost about $40 total. 

More Negitoro!!! Yummy (~150yen = $1.75)

Overall:
Price: 10-15 CAD/ person
Quality: 4/5
Hours: go early as they close either at 9/10pm

Sushi #3: Sushi Kanesaka (2 Michelin star Sushi Restaurant)

Mr. "E" asked me what would I like to have for a fancy meal. Obviously my choice is SUSHI! So he decided to take me to this very hidden basement restaurant in Ginza for a taste of my lifetime. 
The hidden stairwell to go down to the restaurant

The very neatly organised place setting - no menu given, whatever is fresh from the market is what you will get

Our chef for the evening - he spoke little English but Mr. "E" knows a bit of Japanese
  

Started off with Hokkaido Oysters

Next was hairy snowcrab from Hokkaido (we went during winter) - this was amazing especially when Mr. "E" is in love with all things crab. Fresh and sweet, never had anything like it
  

I looked up after my yummy crab and saw him pull octopus & abalone from an urn 

Since he was cutting, they gave us grilled sablefish as another appetiser. Never had cook fish that slides down your throat!
  

Here is the marinated octopus & abalone. Apparently, the chef said it has been sitting in the urn for over 48hrs. OMG such tenderness, and how the sweetness of the sea was so nicely preserved. 

Then I saw this! I wonder how much that whole otoro (highest grade of tuna belly) cost
  

First the Akami - leanest part of tuna. Usually I don't like this cut as they are tasteless. But this piece of akami was filled flavours, pure sweetness with a hint of seawater 

This is Mr. "E"'s favourite cut - Chutoro. He says the ratio of fat to meat makes the "bit" of the fish fatty but yet meaty.
 

In comparison to the chu-toro, my favourite is the Otoro. I just love the pure fattiness of the fish. The oil does not feel heavy but more sweet and carries hints of umami with every bit.

Spanish Mackerel (Aji) - the meat was so fresh that it carries a glutinous chewy texture and does not leave a fishy taste to your mouth like most mackerel does 

Ika - another one of my favourite, but most places does not know how to perfect the preparation of the Ika to make it crunchy. This was by far the best Ika I have had

 

YUMMMMMMM!!!! Ikura - they marinated the salmon roe in a house-made soy sauce. The saltiness enhances the sweetness of the roe so each "Pop" makes you feel like you are eating the essence of the ocean 

YUMMMMM x2!!!!! This is by far my absolute favourite. I LOVE UNI! They lightly sauced it with sweet soy sauce to enhance the sweetness of the uni. It is so fresh that you can taste the seawater.

Every meal ends with Anago (fresh water eel) - eel was tender with no fine bones which I find in some other places

Last but not least, the famous japanese tamago. It is like a dessert to end all sushi meals. This one, the chef told me they steamed the egg with a sakura shrimp broth reduction. You can really taste the seafood infused into the sweet egg.



Overall:
Price: Quite pricey (set-menus differ in price  - cheaper to go for lunch, but hard to get reservation)
Quality: 5/5
Hours: *reservation required - get hotel concierge to call for booking


No comments:

Post a Comment